Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I Am Number Four- Pittacus Lore



Synopsis: 

"We may be walking past you right now.

We are watching as you read this.

We may be in your city, your town.

We are living anonymously.

We are waiting for the day when

We will find each other.

We will make our last stand together—if

We win,

We are saved, and

You are saved as well.

If we lose, all is lost."



Summary: As a baby Number 4, or John Smith as he's now going by, left his wartorn dying planet of Lorien for Earth along with eight other children and their adult guardians. Pursued to Earth by the Mogadorians who destroyed their first planet, all nine children must remain alive- the fate of the world depends on it.

Bound together by a bond that allows the children to be killed by the Mogadorians only in the order of their numbers, John Smith is next in line to die. Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are dead.

He is number 4.

I've been wanting to read this book for awhile. I had heard only good things about it, and I have been dying to see the movie.

The book didn't quite live up to my expectations. While I enjoyed the actual plot and the action scenes, I felt that the relationship development, at least in regards to John and girlfriend/love interest Sarah, was very much lacking. However, as this is not primarily a romance novel but more of an action one, I think it was something I could sort of, but not completely overlook.

I think this book will adapt well to a movie form, although I think in order to maintain a level of interest throughout the movie I expect a lot of changes from the original book. This book reminded me of a cross between the tv shows Heroes and Smallville, with the main character John gaining some really cool powers throughout the book.

Though this is not a favorite book, I am excited for both the movie and the next book which will be called The Power of Six.

Rating: B

Other Recommended Books:
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Gone Series by Michael Grant
Elder's Game by Orson Scott Card
Pendragon Series by D. J. MacHale

1 comment:

  1. The book was great, so I decided to check out the movie. I am Number Four is one of the best sci-fi action movies that have come out lately. If you haven’t seen it you definitely should. One way you can see it is by using Blockbuster Online. Right now if you switch to DISH Network you can get Blockbuster Online FREE for 3 months! There are over 100,000 titles to choose from. As a DISH Network customer and employee I can tell you that if you’re in the mood for the movie in your queue, that’s no problem! You can get a different title right now with instant in-store exchanges.

    ReplyDelete